For the second year, the procession of the Black Nazarene in Manila will be suspended in January 2022 as COVID-19 remains a threat, a Quiapo Church official confirmed Friday.
Fr. Douglas Badong, the church’s parochial vicar, said the move was in compliance with the rules of the government’s Covid-19 task force.
“As long as the IATF (Inter-Agency Task Force) doesn’t allow it, we will not be able to hold a procession,” Fr. Badong said.
The city government of Manila earlier broke the news that the “Traslacion” on Jan. 9 remains suspended due to the pandemic.
The decision was made after a consultation between Fr. Badong and church parish leaders and city government officials.
Instead, the celebration of the Feast of the Black Nazarene will be done through a motorcade in selected areas of Manila.
Just like last year, a replica of the image of the black Jesus will also be visiting some provinces and Masses will be held.
Manila Police District Director Gen. Leo Francisco said that a minimum of 8,000 cops will be deployed during the feast day itself.
He added that additional manpower depends on the need of the situation and the alert level status of the city come January 2022.